“An economically transformed agricultural sector, and sustainable environmental management for healthy, food secure, developed rural and urban communities in Gauteng”.
The Vision presented above incorporates five (5) main themes; namely Transformation, Modernisation, Environment, Agriculture and Rural Development that collectively reflects:
· The mandate of the GDARD within the context of the 2014 to 2019 political agenda of national government and Gauteng Provincial Government (GPG) as expressed in the June 2014 SONA and Premier Makhura’ State of Province Address (SOPA); and
· The strategic direction provided by the GDARD’s MEC Maile in his keynote address to a Strategic Planning session of the department held from the 25th to the 27th August 2014.
“To radically modernize and transform agriculture, environment and rural development by:
· promoting environmental protection and management;
· expanding access to agricultural opportunities;
· maximising food security;
· up-scaling rural development;
· promoting the One Health System; and
· supporting sustainable livelihoods and communities.”
The GDARD’s value driving approach, as shown in the diagram below, focuses on developing synergy and working towards a common GOAL. The values of the GDARD include:
· Team orientation
· Trend setting